- Corporate and Commercial Law
- Securities and Corporate Finance
- Banking and Securing Lending
- Mergers, Acquisitions and Reorganizations
- Communications Law
- Law Society of British Columbia (1974)
- Law Society of Manitoba (1971)
- LLB, University of Manitoba (1970)
Ian D. Robertson | Partner & Founder
Ian Robertson is the founder of and a senior partner with Robertson Neil LLP. His practice focuses on corporate commercial, securities and banking & secured lending. Ian has over 40 years of industry and legal experience, including experience in private practice, serving as CEO of a major corporation and as a director and officer of numerous other companies. He began his legal career in 1971 in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
Ian's corporate and commercial law practice involves advising businesses of all sizes in a range of industries. His expertise includes business structuring, share and asset purchase and sale transactions, debt and equity financing, ownership agreements (including shareholder and partnership agreements), business succession and corporate governance. Ian also provides counsel on general contract matters and preparing and advising on all types of commercial agreements.
Ian acts for public and private companies requiring sophisticated advice on securities law and corporate finance matters. This includes assistance with regulatory and stock exchange issues, public offerings (initial and secondary offerings) and general corporate matters such as share structure, shareholder meetings and compliance with continuous disclosure obligations.
Ian has extensive experience in acting for private companies seeking assistance with venture capital financing in a wide range of industry sectors including telecommunications, technology, mining, and oil & gas. Ian has acted as counsel in purchases and sales of businesses by way of merger, plan of arrangement and reverse takeover for both the target and acquiring company.
Ian advises mining and energy companies on a variety of matters including option agreements, joint ventures, NSR agreements, intellectual property matters and financing activities.
Ian has both legal and practical experience and knowledge in the technology and communications industry. He acted as President and CEO of an online security company, was a founder of a Vancouver-based cable television, Internet and telephone company and acts as director and CEO of a telecommunications infrastructure company.Professional Activities
- Partner and Founder, Robertson Neil LLP – 2003 to present.
- Partner, McMillan LLP (formerly Lang Michener LLP) – 1990 to 1992; member of National Executive – 1991.
- Partner and Founder, Robertson Ward Suderman – 1984 to 1990; managing partner from 1984 to 1989 (Robertson Ward Suderman merged with McMillan LLP in 1990).
- Partner and Associate, Alexander Holburn Beaudin & Lang LLP – 1974 to 1984; managing partner from 1983 to 1984.
- Partner and Associate, Christie, Degraves & Co. (now Inkster Christie Hughes LLP) – 1971 to 1974.
- Lecturer, Corporate and Partnership law, CGA Canada Certification Program – 1972 to 1974.
- President & CEO, Fiberlynx Hosting Inc. - Since 2017.
- Chairman, CEO and Director, Medvoxel Diagnostics Inc. - 2016 to present.
- Chairman, Director & CEO, Telifon Communications Inc. - 2015 to present.
- President & CEO, Fiberlynx Communication Inc. - 2013 to present.
- CEO and Director, a2b Fiber Inc. – 2008 to present.
- Director, Gunpoint Exploration Ltd. (formerly Christopher James Gold Corp.) (TSXV: GUN) – 2008 to 2013.
- Director and Corporate Secretary, Golden Harp Resources Inc. (TSXV: GHR) – 2006 to 2009.
- President & CEO, Norstar Development Company (Barbados) Inc. - 2005 to present.
- Co-founder, Managing Director, President & CEO, Ranger Online Inc. – 2000 to 2003.
- Director, Safer Home Standards Society – 2000 to present.
- Director and trustee, Rainmaker Entertainment Group Ltd. and Rainmaker Income Fund (both are reporting issuers) – 1996 to 2003.
- Founder, President and CEO, Novus Communications Inc. – 1996 to 2003.
- Chairman and Director, NST Network Services Inc. – 1994 to 1996.
- Founder, President, CEO and director – DIVA Systems (Canada) Corporation – 1993 to 1996.
- President, CEO and Director, Columbia Fuels Inc. (formerly listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange) – 1993 to 1995.
- President, CEO and Director, Norstar Capital Inc. – 1991 to 1995.
- Director, Canadian Petroleum Products Institute – 1991 to 1993.
- President, CEO and Director, Canadian Turbo Inc. (formerly listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange) – 1991 to 1993.
- President, CEO and Director, Payless Gas Co. – 1989 to 1993.
- Director, International Potter Distilling Corp. (formerly listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange) – 1986 to 1989.
- Director, General Western Industries / Pacific Western Brewing Company (formerly listed on the Vancouver Stock Exchange) – 1986 to 1989.
- Co-founder and Director, Granville Island Brewing Company (formerly listed on the Vancouver Stock Exchange) – 1983 to 1988.
- Trustee, Royal British Columbia Museum – 1992.
- Lay Governor, Certified General Accountants Association of Manitoba – 1972 to 1974.
- British Columbia Bar Association, Member
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Tau Kappa Epsilon Fraternity, Member